The global pandemic has shifted the way we view working from home. If you have a day job, there are now more benefits for both you and the company you work for. By working from home, you can cut down on commuting time and distractions and get more accomplished in the comfort of your own home. But there are some important measures you will have to put in place. If you are a mompreneur who already works from home, you would already be aware of some of those measures that help to boost your productivity.
Though on the surface it sounds nice to work from home, the reality is that it is actually more challenging than being in the office all day.
Here are a few tips for getting the most out of working from home.
CREATE THE RIGHT SETTING
- Designate a workspace. Ideally, set aside a room to use as an office. Even if you lack a full room, you can create a designated area, such as a desk, in one corner of another room. The important thing is to have a spot that’s just for work.
- Select office furniture. An ergonomic chair is your most important investment. Try to get an adjustable model with adequate back support. You’ll also need a desk that enables you to keep your wrists straight when using a keyboard.
- Optimize your lighting. Lighting is important for performance and your mood. If you have a window in your work area, position your computer monitor at a right angle to the natural light. Layers of artificial light are also a great option.
- Keep you and your equipment safe. Use surge protectors and dust covers, and tuck cables away safely. Take regular exercise breaks to avoid repetitive injuries and eyestrain.
- Set up a regular meeting schedule with your family and your team. The recipe for success while working from home begins with clear communication. If you don’t share what your goals are for the day or week, then your team or family may have different expectations of you. They may assume you have the time to cook daily (like my family does), or that you are available at 8am. State your plans clearly. Weekly meetings can give you a chance to set goals and review progress.
- Let colleagues know the best way to reach you. Since you are in a more relaxed environment, colleagues can assume that you have less work to do. On the contrary, because of the environment, you actually have more tasks to perform. You may not necessarily be able to respond in a timely manner to emails, text messages or private messages. Video calling has become popular, but sometimes can work against you if you are not prepared. Set clear boundaries about the times of the day you can be contacted. Try to stick to similar hours each day.
- In case of emergencies, advise people whether it’s best to reach you by email or your cell phone. Check all messages frequently.
- Make outside parties aware of your arrangement. It’s usually easiest to let clients and other callers know that you’re working from home. As long as you convey a professional demeanor and provide high-quality service, they’re likely to feel comfortable with the arrangement.
- Use breakfast and lunch dates to keep up with your clients and friends. These can be done virtually. Networking activities can nurture and expand your connections, increase your knowledge and skills, and reduce any feelings of isolation.
- Keep track of your hours. It’s easy to lose track of how much time you’re spending on work. Aim for a schedule you can sustain over the long-term. You may want to start off small and gradually increase your hours until you find the right symmetry for you.
- Seek the support of your family. Having your family on board is essential to your success. Ask for their input in creating ground rules for your home office, such as a do not disturb signal.
I hope these tips were helpful. Let me know in the comments what strategies are working best for you as you work from home.
P.S: Did you hear that I am creating an amazing tool to help us Mompreneurs increase our productivity at home AND at work? It’s called The Ultimate Mompreneur Planner. Stay tuned to our IG page for updates and to find out how you can get on the waitlist for this amazing product.